Tuesday 26 November 2013

Unit 34- Image Malipulation

Paul M Smith


Paul M Smith is the first artist in which was given to research within the topic of Image Manipulation.  Paul M Smith is a very famous and unique photographer who has a creative flare when working with Photoshop. He has a range of photographs which include multiple people within the frame, however all include the same person, he has experimented with this technique using himself and having a range of famous people modelling for him, for example Robbie Williams who appears in many frames created by Smith. To do this you have to set your camera upon a tripod and set your camera on timer, get in position and take a photograph. Finally all of these photographs can be layered on photoshop and rubbed out to create an optical illusion of the same person multiple times. 
This is another example of a photograph created by Paul M Smith when exploring photograph manipulation. This photograph is an optical illusion and taken from an abstract angle combining male and female body parts together. Paul M Smith has a collection of interesting photographs showing nudity and sexual nature which some people may find disturbing however I find quite interesting and unique. 


Practice Shoot On Image Manipulation

This was a first attempt at the process of image manipulation therefore the editing of this photograph is rather poor. However due to practice I now understand how to layer the photographs easily and not produce visible rubbing out tool marks from using Photoshop. From this photograph I also realised it was a lot easier and more visibly appealing if the positioning of each character was thought out to prevent overlapping of characters. 


My Own Image Manipulation



















This is my own image manipulation photograph. Before starting this shoot I decided that the main aspect in which I wanted to include when practicing this technique was to have a story behind my photograph as my practice shoot did not and seemed rather random and didn't interact in an interesting manner like I wanted. Overall I believe that this photograph was a success as the story behind the visual exterior shows passion and jealousy. However I were to recreate this photograph I would have chosen a different background situation to create a better appearance and theme to this image. However if I were to practice this technique again I believe I would shoot in an outdoor setting with natural light as the dim artificial light created lack of pixel detail due to an increased ISO.  



Evaluation on Paul M Smith and My Own Image Manipulation



Overall I believe my own image manipulation was a success as I achieved what I wanted to show in my image although not generally enjoying the Photoshop technique. My main goal in this photograph was to create a story behind my image as I wanted it to make sense and have meaning. My inspiration came from watching a television programme named 'Don't Tell The Bride'. I thought it would be a humorous idea to have multiple versions of me recreating the story of proposal. Therefore in my image there is a man proposing to a woman, a camera man and a jealous ex. For this multiple outfit change was needed to create a more realistic appearance.  


Mono stroke Black and White



This is a photograph which I captured and edited using the technique of Mono stroke Black and White. I created this effect of mixing black and white with colour in the photograph by using Photoshop. This technique creates a focus point of the photograph by enhancing the vibrance within one part of the rule of thirds. The technique of this effect is quite easily done just by creating two duplicate layers, one with the photograph in colour and one in black and white. After this the rubber tool is used to rub parts of the black and white photograph away to reveal a colourful background appearance, this gives you the opportunity to reveal parts of the photograph you wish to be in colour. Finally the opacity of the black and white background is increased to create a greyscale appearance with a hint of dull colour to create an interesting contrast. Although some people created a more vibrant colour amongst the black and white tones, I believe by using pastel colours works better when creating an atmosphere with the black and white in a photograph. Therefore that is what I did.  


Evaluation Of Mono stroke Technique


Overall I do enjoy this technique using photoshop as I believe it can make a photograph come to life and be more appealing to the eye. I have used this technique before however at the time it was named 'Colour Splash' therefore I was already familiar with the technique and had no problems when creating this edit. With this technique I think it is always appealing and interesting when juxtaposing a low aperture with the mono stroke technique. 



Warhol

For this part of the Image Manipulation unit we each created a photograph in the style of Andy Warhol. Andy Warhol was idolised and recognised for his photographs for being very vibrant in colour and showcased in a grid. Within this grid the same photograph is placed in each grid however in different colours to contrast each other creating an interesting and busy overall photograph.  Overall I have never really taken inspiration from Andy Warhol's work, however I am happy with the outcome of my photograph which is in the style of Warhol. I believe the effect of using a light haired and skin model created an interesting contrast when edited and the use of texture is enhanced effectively.                        


Evaluation Of Warhol Editing Technique



Overall I wasn't particularly inspired by the 'pop art' style of photography therefore although I am pleased with my photograph and do think it looks interesting, I wont be following up or experimenting further with this method of editing. I think I am mainly not interested in this style as I am particularly attracted by black and white photography with deep contrasting tones and full, sharp detail within the human form. 



Vignette



For this section of the Image Manipulation unit we experimented with the technique of Vignette. This is also done on photoshop fairly easily and can create an interesting composition within a dull un interesting photograph. For this photograph I decided to capture my model with perspective significantly shown amongst a busy background, from this I could then enhance the focus point of my model by creating the Vignette boarder around him. The technique of Vignette on Photoshop is quite similar to the Monostroke Black and White effect, however with the use of a boarder as well. When editing this photograph I decided to create a thin white boarder to create a 'doorway' of light appearance.  



Evaluation   

Overall this was a new technique which I haven't experimented with before therefor it was quite interesting to see what the final result looked like. I do believe this editing process is interesting and would like to develop this further however I dont like my final image as I think it is a bit pointless and lacks meaning and emotion.   



Ten Years Younger



For this part of the Image Manipulation unit we were given the topic of 'Ten Years Younger'. In this we had to photograph a person over the age of 50 which in result could be air brushed to create a more youthful and radiant appearance. This technique was easily done using Photoshop where I used the 'Healing Brush Tool' as well as the 'Spot Healing Tool'. In result by using these tools my models complexion became smooth and unblemished. Using these tools with the occasional use of the 'Clone Stamp Tool' I erased my the bags underneath my models eyes, his laughter lines, wrinkles and unwanted facial hair. Finally to complete the air brushing process I chose to put an overall blurred effect upon my photograph to produce an event softer, more even skin tone. 


Evaluation 

Overall I did really enjoy this exercise as I think it is very interesting how the appearance of an individual can change so much due to altering their complexion and 'imperfections' which they have due to age. I believe my final photograph is successful as it is a realistic change in identity and the airbrushing looks natural and not extreme. Generally in photography I enjoy photographing the human form, therefore this process could be very useful to me if needed, however I do like the appearance of ageing skin in a photograph as i believe it adds texture and character to the individual.   



Creating Reflections In Photoshop


For this section of the Image Manipulation blog we experimented with creating a reflection on Photoshop. Firstly we took a photograph of some water alongside another separate photograph of a building. Unfortunately I didn't capture the building with enough space to show a significant reflection however the technique is still slightly shown in my final image. 




This is my final photograph showing a reflection created by photoshop. This technique was quite easy to do however some difficulties can arise if your photograph wasn't planned very well. In this case I should of captured this building with a lot more space on the floor to create a significantly visible reflection. When opening Photoshop my first step was to cut out the photograph of the building using the Lasso Tool and pasting it on a background layer. After this I then dragged the photograph of the water onto my photograph. When this step was complete I then used the Rubber Tool to rub out any of the area in which I didn't want covered by water. Finally I lowered the opacity of the water and created a reflection by selecting the building and rotating it vertically to create the illusion. 



Evaluation   

Overall I did not enjoy experimenting with this technique as much as I thought I would. The style of photography which I am inspired by doesn't tend to include techniques such as this, however I believe if I were to experiment with reflection again, I could create a lot more interesting and successful photographs. Generally this technique was quite easy to do on Photoshop however I did have to overcome some problems during the process of editing. For example I had to rub out certain parts of the photograph which didn't look correct with water over the top, also the reflection of the water isn't lined up perfectly as id like it. Although the reflection is slightly wonky, I decided to improve the appearance of the photograph by adding transparent ripples to the water. Therefore I believe I was successful at this skill and overcame any problems I had. If i were to practice this technique again, I believe my final photograph would be much higher quality and potential.  



Creating Snow In a Photograph


For this part of the image manipulation blog we were given the task to change a normal sunny landscape into a winter scene by only using photoshop. To make this process more effective we captured a landscape which included greenery. From this you then select a mid grey colour, mainly found in the trees, to start a base for a snowy scene. 

The Process of Creating This Effect


1) Press Ctrl/Cmd and J to create a copy of your photograph.
2) Using the eyedropper tool select a mid grey colour, usually found in grass or trees. 
3) Then click on Select>Colour range 
4) Use a fuziness slider of roughly 132 and choose sampled colour from the select drop down box and click OK. 
5) Add a new layer (ctrl/Cmd+Shift+N) and name it snow. 
6) Go to Edit>Fill and choose white for contents. 
7) Then hit (Ctrl/Cmd+D) to deselect.
8) Now in the layers palette, change the blending mode of the snow to 'Hard Light'.
9) Add another layer (ctrl/Cmd+Shift+N) and call it gradient. Using the colour swatch and choose a vibrant blue. 
10) Select the gradient tool and click in the gradient picker. 
11) Choose 'Foreground to Transparent' 
12) Using your cursor, click and hold from the bottom of your image and drag vertically from the bottom to the top. 
13) Now set the Blending mode of the layer to 'Hue' and change the opacity to 80%.
14) Add another layer and name it Snowfall. 
15) Fill this layer with 50% grey (Edit>Fill)
16)Hit 'D' on the keyboard to make Black the foreground colour
17) Add noise to the image (Filter>Add noise)to 50%
18) Choose Gaussian for distribution and check the monochromatic check box. Click OK.
19) Next, Filter>Blur>Gaussian blur. Use a blue radius of between 3.5-5. 
20) To adjust the contrast of this layer go to Image>Adjustments>levels. 
21) In the levels dialog box drag the pointer to the peak of the histogram chart. 
22) Now drag the black pointer so it starts to disappear behind the white pointer. Click OK.
23) Set the blending mode to 'Screen' and reduce the opacity until the snowfall is more realistic in appearance. 
24) Now to create the illusion of the snow being windblown go to Filter>Blur>Motion Blur. Use an angle of 65 degrees and a distance of around 13 pixels. 



Original Photograph



With Snow







Compare and Contrast Two Photographers Who Manipulate Photographs


Lydia Marano


Lydia Marano is a photographer who is known for her interesting imagery and techniques within the topic of photograph manipulation using photoshop. The type of imagery she tends to create includes a range of layered images containing deep contrasting tones of typically black and white or sepia colour cast. I generally really like this photographer and am quite inspired at here unique 'dark' view upon the world. Her work ranges from dark and mysterious to sometimes quite comical therefore she demonstrates various different photographic and editing techniques to reflect the mood in which she may feel at the moment in time.   


This is one of the photographs in which I particularly like by Lydia Marano. This photograph has two layers however are combined together to create the illusion of a real life face created by clouds within a storm.     


This is another photograph created by Lydia Marano which I particularly like mainly due to the unusual composition alongside a slight 'vintage' appearance this was clearly done on Photoshop with a sepia overlay. In addition to this I also like the darkened corners to this photograph as it makes it look older. Although I do love this photograph it isn't the type of photography I am generally interested in, as I am not extremely fascinated in photograph manipulation, however usually find the outcomes very appealing. 


Erik Johansson


Erik Johansson is a photographer and also a retouch artist from Sweden who uses photography to demonstrate the ideas in his mind but on a smaller scale. He is known for not only his own projects but also commissioned work alongside creating street illusions. He mentions on his online blog that although his photographs may have hundreds of layers he always wants to edit carefully to give the photograph an appearance as if he shot it there and then. 



This is a photograph created by Erik Johansson where the use of photograph manipulation is very clear. I really like this photograph as it is interesting to look at alongside the story created by the image. I dont normally like photograph manipulation however I do find images interesting if they create a story behind the pixels. It is clear from this picture that Erik Johansson tried to recreate the feeling of mystery and fear that lurks at the bottom of your bed at night time. To do this he captures a photograph of both in his bedroom juxtaposing with a murky forest created from the flow of a bedsheet.  


This is another photograph created by Erik Johansson within the topic of photograph manipulation. I have also experimented with the technique shown in the photograph previously, however interesting, I believe it could have been more effective if the picture was shot from a side angle to show a different reflection to what is staring in the mirror. However the crisp detail and composition within the rule of thirds is quite effective. 


This is another photograph created by Erik Johansson. This image appeals to me as I am very interested in using the technique of reflection within a photograph as it creates a busy and abstract style. I like how Erik has entwined the use of reflection to create an appearance of water juxtaposing with himself in the frame holding a mirror. This creates a very interesting and clever optical illusion. 

   
Evaluation Of Compare And Contrast Photographers Who Manipulate Images


The two photographers I researched were Lydia Marano and Erik Johansson. Although both experiment with the technique of image manipulation their general style of photography is very different. For example Lydia Marano mainly produces photography with a mixture of distorted human form and animals whereas Erik takes a different approached of mainly focussing on many layers on photoshop to then edit together to create a final very interesting image which often includes multiple people in his frame usually being himself. Inn addition to this Lydia's general style is quite dark and mysterious compared to that of Erik Johansson which mainly consists of more 'clever' photographs. Although interested by both photographers, I believe my preferred photographer out of the two is Lydia Johannson as her images are deep, dark and interesting. 

Selfie Montage 






For this part of the Image Manipulation unit we were given the task to create a 'selfie' montage. For my shoot I decided that I should create a theme to my photographs. For this I started to brainstorm my ideas and then chose to shoot my images when I was non sober. This mant I wasn't posing for my photographs and created a humorous exterior. 



Digital Slideshow


For my digital slideshow I believe the most important thing to include is a theme to my photographs as I want to prevent a random compilation of photographs that don't link together. So what I began to do in this topic was a mind map to think of a theme for my slideshow which I could eventually take a lot of images to fit within a chosen theme to last at least 3 minutes accompanied by music.    

No comments:

Post a Comment